Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Redux: brought back; revived; resurgent...

I am going to consider this post the first real post in Fluffy Girl 2.0.

I am almost two months into this whole life altering...what should I call this... Program? Nah. Change? Redundant. Redux? YES! I am almost two months into my life-changing redux. It's not a noun but if the film industry can take poetic license so can I.

In the movie Princess Bride, Inigo goes back to the beginning  so that is what I am trying to do.

It all began with my addiction to infomercials. My dear friend was addicted to the same infomercial and she took the plunge first. We both purchased a food extractor which takes fruits and vegetables and breaks them down to a level where, when you ingest the drink, you get all the benefits and nutrients without your body first breaking them down. It's sort of like juicing but it utilizes all the fiber and nutrient-rich skins, seeds and stems (some are poisonous so be careful).

For some reason, I felt I couldn't start any of it without that little kitchen appliance.

I re-vamped my pantry and donated all the processed and unhealthy foods that were taking up space. I went through my spice rack and updated it. I made sure that I had only healthy oils and got rid of much of the stuff I thought would de-rail my efforts.

I re-organized my kitchen so that all the things I would be using were right at my fingertips without me having to run and get the stepladder.

Then I investigated a little bit of what I might need to get started. I went shopping and bought leafy greens, fruits, and lots of chicken breasts.

Week one was easy. I cooked ahead of time and did some slow cooker recipes.

Gradually, I have added a bunch of whole grains, more varieties of leafy greens such as collards, mustard, Swiss chard and even beet greens. I use these in my drinks on a daily basis and also cook many quick and easy meals that are healthy and filling.

I learned that fresh ginger, garlic, and turmeric are some very good and especially beneficial things to add to my cooking and also to my drinks.

I also added some "Super Foods" to my repertoire. I added chia seeds, goji berries, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, quinoa, wheat berries, a variety of vegetables, nuts and legumes, and coconut oil.

Once I started modifying my diet and cooking my meals in a healthier way, I instantly felt better. I had more energy, my mood improved, and I immediately saw weight loss.

It takes a little time and planning to make sure that I have the right things at the ready. I keep a journal of what I eat in the form of a menu, how much I move, and even a weekly to do list just to keep track. Every week I start with Day One because every week I go back to the beginning.

I have eliminated refined sugar for the most part. I no longer drink diet soda. I was totally addicted to diet cola! I drink one cup of coffee in the morning then I might have de-caf or herbal or green tea. I use stevia, agave and raw honey to make things sweeter. I avoid most white starches. If I have them, it's in small quantities no more than two times a week.

I drink mostly water and sometimes I use the Soda Stream my sister got us for Christmas and have home made seltzer with limes, lemons, apples, cucumbers.

I am a food addict. I am a junk food junkie. I do not miss these foods. Let me say it again. I do not miss these foods. I have replaced them with the real deal. Real food. Real home-cooking.

I don't need to have take-out or drive-thru meals every day. I don't even have cold cuts any more. I do not feel deprived. If I truly want something, like pizza, I will have it in moderation and maybe in a healthier way. Make my own with fresh veggies and whole wheat crust. 

One thing I do miss is chocolate. I have been buying those fancy dark chocolate bars. I make sure they are Organic and have more than fifty percent cacao in them. A little bit satisfies my craving. One bar lasts me a couple of weeks. Sometimes I will have it with berries or raisins or a little all-natural peanut butter.

I am trying to eat mostly clean and whole foods. I try to use organic when I can afford it. Otherwise I look for things that say "all natural" because these are mostly foods that are not grown or raised with hormones.

By brown-bagging my lunch, drinking filtered water, and not buying pre-made meals, I am saving money. I buy fruits that can be frozen when they are on sale such as berries, grapes, bananas, mangoes and pineapples and put them in freezer bags. It makes my smoothies nice and cold without having to add ice.

When my leafy greens are starting to wilt I make soup or sautee them with beans and spices and add them to my meals.

When summer comes, I will be growing a lot of my own veggies and strawberries in pots on my patio. I am also looking into growing my own sprouts and making my own sprouted breads.

The more I learn about healthier products and switching to whole, clean, organic food, the more I feel like this is a complete lifestyle change.

I am also re-discovering that I am a good cook. There have been a few recipes I made and wondered what I was thinking. But, for the most part, I am thoroughly enjoying the time I spend in my kitchen. I don't even mind the clean up!

I am learning. I will not be perfect but I know that whatever comes my way, if I keep putting healthy things into my body, I will feel better able to meet life's challenges. Life is hard anyway. Why not be healthy while your trying to keep it all together.?






No comments:

Post a Comment