Monday, March 11, 2013

You put your whole self in...

Today I got back on the mat. The Yoga mat.

Years ago, when I was starting yet another stint with Weight Watchers, I decided I would try Yoga. I did and I loved it. But I did it to home videos...I never took a class.

They were very good tapes for beginners and the Yogi, Alan Finger, was very good at explaining it all. It definitely helped me with flexibility and centering me.

The last time I lost weight, I started with the Yoga tapes and a Pilates tape and I even dusted off some Tae Bo videos. That was before I had my dvd player. None of those will work since I no longer have the VCR. So I am trying to follow a TV show. Much harder. It would be much easier to be able to pause or rewind when I miss something because I am focusing all my energy on getting up off the floor. And they don't always show the modified versions of the poses (which I modify even further!) that fluffy gals like me can use. Yoga is a practice where you condition yourself with moves that engage your whole body and you use your own body's resistance to make yourself stronger. Well, this body is verrrry resistant!

I realize that I am much older and much larger than I was the last time. But I want to move. I am not ready for a class. The instructor would end up devoting all her time to me!

In my mind, I feel so much better and so energized that I feel like I can do anything. This morning I was reminded of my limitations. But I stuck with it. I even held some of the standing poses and downward dog for quite a bit longer than I thought I could. I know that I will reach the point where it seems effortless and I won't be holding my breath and scrunching my shoulders.

Honestly? It was the hardest thing I've done so far and at the end of the day I feel a little taller,  a little more powerful, and a lot stronger.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment