Friday, February 15, 2013

For auld lang syne, my dear...

I am fairly certain that I have written these words before regarding the song we sing to ring in the New Year. Forgive and indulge me and perhaps you'll understand why I must be redundant.

It's an old Sottish drinking song about drinking to old friendships and forgiveness for not remembering to drink to ones we didn't remember, I guess.

It's based on a poem by Robert Burns and I think maybe he was drinking a bit when he wrote the words.

2012 is gone and 2013 is here.

Poor 2013.

There has been so much said and written and posted and "liked" that this poor year doesn't have a chance to live up to the expectations pinned upon her!

Everyone sounds so determined...and I guess they do every year...to make this the one that counts. A year of Peace. A year of happiness. A year of change.

The social media networks began on New Year's Eve and haven't stopped into the wee hours of the First Night with quotes and wishes and hopes of this being a healthy, happy, prosperous, glorious, perfect year.

And it will be for some. Perhaps 2012 was that for others. In spite of what may have gone on in my world, last year may have been a perfect year for so many.

I just think we as a culture put so much on what a new year can actually bring.

I am neither a pessimist nor an optimist. I am more of a pragmatist. Good stuff, bad stuff, happiness, sadness, wealth, poverty...can't have one without the other. The glass is neither half full nor half empty. It is just a glass with water in it.

I do pray every year for a peaceful, healthy, prosperous year for me and for my family and friends. But I am realistic and I know that there will be so many things that life can throw at me to make it tip one way or the other.

I try to embrace the mystery of what the year will bring. Instead of looking to the first day of the year to start anew, I try to do that each day. Most of the time, by the time I hit the snooze button, I've forgotten to be grateful for that first breath of awareness. But each night, I try to stay awake long enough to thank God for it.

So Karma just showed up on my radio! Listening to Pandora as I was re-reading this draft I wrote on New Year's Day (it is currently February 15th), the song Same Auld Lang Syne came on! I was re-reading this and contemplating deleting the post since it was from over a month ago and pondering a change in the theme of my blog or starting a different one altogether. I took this as a sign to keep Fluffy Girl right where she is but change her a little bit. Well, maybe a lot. 

My next post will be the beginning of a new chapter for Fluffy Girl. I hope all three of you, dear readers, will join me on my journey. And I will be tweaking the name ever so slightly! Please stay tuned!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment