Tuesday, December 27, 2011

I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day...

Well, it's all over but the countdown.

This is the worst part for me. Accepting the inevitable. It makes me kind of sad and very melancholy. I wish that I had savored it more or taken more time to notice the lights on every one's houses. I wish that I had seen just one more holiday movie.

I saw a tree out by the sidewalk already and it made me realize how fleeting it all is. The Hallmark Channel is already hawking its Valentine's Day movies! No one ever says "I wish it could be Valentine's Day every day!" do they?

I know no one is really reading this blog. I see people searching and it makes me realize that one of my titles can be terribly misconstrued. But I won't change it on the off chance some sex addict is perusing the Internet and finds that there can be things of substance on the Internet that are not about sex.

That being said, I am here feeling my usual post-holiday blues and trying to tell myself that that's all it is. I am trying to convince myself that I am not just having a little holiday pity party for myself.

I don't believe me.

A bit of rambling today. Sorry, dear readers and sex addicts. It cannot be helped.

Another sure sign that the holidays are drawing to a close is the annual "Join Free" Weight Watchers ad and all the others on television. In fact, as I was typing that, Jennifer Hudson was on TV as two people-the fluffy Jennifer and the thin Jennifer.

I don't want to bust her bubble, but I'd love to see the future Jennifer so I could know if she could keep the weight off! I know I couldn't. Oprah couldn't. Al Roker had surgery and he still struggles! Kirsty Allie. Has anyone seen her recently. Curious to see if she has managed to keep the weight off since DWTS.

How will I begin 2012? When I was in high school, the 21st century seemed so far away. If it ever came at all...now, we are more than ten years into it! How did that happen?

John Lennon hit the proverbial nail when he said "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans..." But I didn't think I would turn around and see so much behind me...joy, pain, heartbreak, fear, death, birth! It all happens so quickly. Like a montage in a movie. And even though it looks like it's in slow motion, it's careening past at breakneck speed. It's running right over me!

I hold onto Christmas longer than most people. I keep it playing in my car. I keep watching the DVDs, I keep lighting my lights. Well past what most would deem acceptable. But, Christmas is a season to me and I need to keep it going for at least two more weeks. That's when the wise men came. That's when I might be ready to let it go.

I always thought Jewish people were so lucky because their holiday lasted eight days but then I found out the truth. Most people spend the festival of lights like any other day. It's more of an observed day rather than a high holy day. And they get eight gifts but they are usually seven smaller gifts like dreidls and candies.

I guess I can do whatever I want with Christmas. I have no children who will be confused by the strange and bizarre ritual of lighting the tree until it's time to take it down (and even past that!).

So I will go back into my lovely and beautifully decorated living room and take off my glasses and look at my tree for another half hour tonight. Each Christmas I spend needs a little savoring. Even if it is after the fact.

So Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

P.S. It sounds like I'm giving Oprah a bad rap as far as weight-loss goes. I give her props for putting it out there the way she does. And for being brave enough to face the world even when she fails. And she still looks pretty good and seems to maintaining her weight fairly well even with the gain. Kudos to you, O!

No comments:

Post a Comment