Tuesday, December 13, 2011

"Get Me Back, Clarence..."

And so, through the help of trained professionals, I am back online and no longer at the mercy of blogging at a foreign computer.

Maybe I'm just not ready for a Mac.

Anyway...Not having that connection forced me to find other ways to spend my time. Not that I spend all that much time on my computer...usually late at night or just before work...but I have to say, I did miss the connection. Literally and figuratively.

Now that we have Facebook and other social networks, I find myself not emailing as many people as I used to. Not really instant messaging anymore either. Although, sometimes I do on the social networks. But those types of connections kept me connected to my family and friends who don't live in my general area. Also kept me abreast of dramas going with friends and family. Or even good happenings like engagements and pregnancies.

My life choices right now don't offer me a lot of free time to keep in touch with people like I have in the past. Even with the social networks, I still don't talk with long distance friends and family nearly as often as I would like. At least with my Internet connection, I was able to at least keep up if not speak directly to all the people in my life.

Now that the holidays are nearly upon us, I crave that connection even more.

I had a very narrow window of time to get everything done and I was feeling very overwhelmed the past week or so. Especially since I couldn't get instant gratification by checking my bills or reading an email or Christmas shopping online. 

However, there is something to be said for the solitude of being disconnected. And by disconnected, I mean completely connected by my old 3G iPhone and the use of my friend's and sister's Macs.

I was definitely less distracted by wanting to update my status or check my email or poke somebody! There were times, in the past two days, where I actually accomplished multiple things in one afternoon! I truly believe that the Internet has given me a mild case of ADD.

For a few weeks, I had a chance to see what my life would be like without the Internet in it. My Clarence was a man named John who was exceedingly helpful and even said that this was a good machine and I don't really need a mac. (Doesn't stop me from wanting one) Or maybe he just said that because I paid him.

I have been so very busy the past couple of days and I still have so much more to do. But I will just trudge along and try to stay focused. But first I have to go update my status!

No comments:

Post a Comment