Monday, November 14, 2011

"It's comin' on Christmas, Theyre cuttin' down trees..." JM

No surprises about the holidays being here already.

We get the same three hundred and sixty five days between each year, don't we? Sometimes the turkey is roasted a little earlier and the Hanukkah candles can be lit earlier or later, but Christmas and New Year's Eve come the same day every year and we always act surprised.

That never ceases to baffle me.

We knew it was coming. Remember last year when you said "Next year I'll be ready!"?

I know that retailers put the pressure on us by decorating the stores and putting out the ads earlier and earlier.

On election day (which, by the way, was less than a week ago!), I saw the first real sign that Halloween was over and we barely have time to buy our turkeys. The big white sign with hand-painted lettering that says X-mas Trees!

That sign fills me with trepidation. A cold, hard dread in the pit of my being.

To be completely honest, I never even put my Christmas linens in storage last year. They are sitting in my bedroom in collapsible laundry baskets which I move from place to place telling myself I'll get to it.

I never did my Spring cleaning and have yet to do my fall spruce-up and now it's time to figure out where to put the tree.

How did that happen?

I knew it was coming.

Last year I vowed to be ready.

Farbsday!! Where are you when I really need you???

No comments:

Post a Comment