Sunday, November 3, 2013

Marking Time

I know that I have mentioned this before in previous posts, but it's that time of year again and I feel the need to acknowledge my trepidation. I hope it will not bore the three of you.

This time of year is always bittersweet for me. As soon as I buy my mums and put out my pumpkins, I start getting that panicky feeling that time is getting away from me.

Maybe because...well...it is.

I work in a business that is marked by time. My clients come in on the half hour, sometimes every half hour for each day I work which is anywhere from six to ten to sometimes twelve hours per day. Those days when I am completely booked fill me with a strange combination of satisfaction and dread.

We are coming into an extremely (God willing) busy time. The business of beauty booms during the silly season. Please don't misconstrue. I am so very grateful to be busy and am humbled by my steady and loyal clientele.

But when you measure time in half hour increments it gets away from you.

On Halloween night, someone posted a picture with the caption "Happy Halloween" while she was standing in the midst of a fully decked out holiday wonderland. I think it was Target.

I started seeing commercials for the Christmas Spectacular at Radio City in August. There was also an ad for a layaway at Kmart with a stalking gingerbread man airing in September. Once October began, it was a full on assault. Christmas and Hanuka items making their appearances in my local market before October first and garland and twinkle lights on sale at the local drug store two weeks before Halloween (which, by the way, was only four days ago!).

Ticking off the days, minutes and hours of our lives takes its toll. Measured time moves much quicker and we get overwhelmed because we are forever looking at what is next.

I find it difficult to remain calm and collected during this time of year because I want to get to work on time so I can stay on time so I can get out on time so I can get some shopping done before the malls close.

It's exhausting and I haven't even begun to do any of that yet. I am still in the list-making stages. Another very time consuming undertaking to keep me on schedule so I will have enough time to get it all done before I have ever gotten the  chance to start.

And then we went and turned the clocks back last night and I don't know where the hell that hour went!

This exactly why I begin to panic once October is over. I am so stressed about enjoying the time that I over-schedule and run behind and procrastinate and the next thing I know, it's Christmas Eve at two a.m. and I am wrapping presents until it is light out. I get to savor all of fifteen minutes of the entire season.

This happens every year. Why don't I ever see it coming? They tried to warn me, right? There were commercials and Christmas in July on QVC. There were signs everywhere and I still did not have the foresight to be ready.

I think this will be the year that I will be ready and I will try to savor some of it. I will shop early and cut down on my list making and I will try very hard to stay in the moment and not put my Christmas Cd's in my car until after Thanksgiving. 

I have been making changes so I can enjoy my life, right?

Oh, crap! I forgot about all my lifestyle changes! How will I ever fit in learning how to bake with millet flour and quinoa while still managing to hang my organic, recyclable wreath?

Good thing it is only November 3. I still have fifty whole days left to shop, bake, wrap and revel. So, for now, I will just try to stay in the moment.

Happy Election Day, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Cindy, I used to feel the same way. It's gotten better over the years when I let myself do less and enjoy the little things more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halloween day I was driving to work and hit a button on my cd player and Josh Groban's Noel cd came on and I was about to change it and then I realized it was lovely, so I sang Christmas songs the whole way down the pike!!!

    ReplyDelete